Thursday 28 December 2017

haunted by thoughts of eternity



This is a great theme! I'm going to make at least one new collage for it, but in the meantime here is one from my archives. For as long as I can remember I've been fascinated by the numerous things that over the years have been used as oracles. One of them is the Ouija board, which had its first bout of popularity with the spiritualists of the late 19th century. The numerals on this collage are from a Ouija board. They are superimposed on an image of a seance being conducted by spiritualists, to illustrate a magazine article on that movement.

Image of Niagara Falls is not a photo: that's a black-and-white reproduction of Frederic Edwin Church's oil painting. Background from a women's sportswear catalog. Contemplative young man in harlequin attire by Pablo Picasso. Doves from the lid of a children's magic set.

2 comments:

  1. What a great combo of images and meanings, Fi. Ooooooh the OUIJA BOARD! How my sister and I loved to consult.

    ReplyDelete