Monday 12 December 2016

Some More Red and Green...

An old thrift-store painting of a building fire has been sitting around my house forever.  Recently I did a couple pieces for an exhibit in which Northwest collagists were asked to "echo" certain Northwest social realism artists working in the 1930-40's.  (Our instructions were not to imitate these artists, but to be inspired by them...)  While working on pieces for that exhibit I decided to glue some book and magazine scraps to this old painting, looking for a similar social realism feel.  So, now we have a collaboration between Unknown Painter and me, and here it is:

Big Fire at the Dream Factory

5 comments:

  1. Lovely work! I like the combination of paint and collage. Utilising old thrift store paintings is a great idea and one I might steal! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree w/ Michael: the smudgy paint is marvelous! And such a wildly diverse collection of people! I'm curious: is the frame for real, or is it paper? Also: how big is this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frame is real (quite lovely, classier than the contents, actually...), and the piece is fairly large: 30"h x 25"w. We aim to dominate here in Snipville....

      Delete
  3. WHOA! Amazing juxtapositions. I like this a lot Lynn!

    ReplyDelete