Sunday 10 November 2013

Picasso's Last Words.

In an interview Paul McCartney says he was on vacation in Montego Bay, Jamaica where he "snuck" onto the set of the film Papillon where he met Dustin Hoffman and Steve McQueen.

After a dinner with Hoffman, with McCartney playing around on guitar, Hoffman did not believe that Paul could write a song "about anything", so Hoffman pulled out a magazine where they saw the story of the death of Pablo Picasso and his famous last words, "Drink to me, drink to my health. You know I can't drink anymore."

McCartney created a demo of the song and lyrics on the spot, prompting Hoffman to exclaim to his wife: "…look, he's doing it…he's doing it!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD_8QkvnDLA

5 comments:

  1. You know, Ron, I have never heard this story before. And I know the song well. Your collage is a great tribute to both Pablo and Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I'd not heard it either. As Ian Dury once said " There ain't arf been some clever bar stewards!" or words to that effect! Also lovely doc. about Elvis Costello the other night on BBC4 (see now on iPlayer) where he teams up with Macca to write some songs ( some on YouTube) that amazingly never saw the light of day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story and collage! Now I feel like trying to right a poem about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really an interesting story and a good tribute to them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New to me, too, great story and nice collage tribute to these guys, Mono!

    ReplyDelete